Sunday, May 22, 2011

rare applause for a politician

Those familiar with Solomon's Ledger are aware of my general distrust for all things political. I believe that the greatest advancement to His Kingdom is primarily initiated through the change of hearts, rather than the change of laws. But we also know that God has chosen at times to use the position of men to call their people to holy living. That said, I think it is necessary to speak well of the recent news that our governor will not be pursuing the presidency:

In the end I was able to resolve every competing consideration but one, but that, the interests and wishes of my family, is the most important consideration of all.
-- IN Gov. Mitch Daniels
Daniels and his media-shy wife had undergone some up and down moments in the 1990s, which ultimately led to a divorce, but the two reconciled and remarried shortly after. Although pressured by his party to represent the lone fiscal conservative in a weak Republican pool, Daniels declined to protect his family from the mudslinging that his family would inevitably endure regarding their personal matters.

I have openly opposed many of the governor's budget cuts, some of which may eventually cost me my current job. But it would be wrong to ignore a courageous act because of prior disagreements, particularly one that has prioritized his role as husband over the "needs" of his constituency. This is a decision that most men of executive power would never make. I pray that God blesses Daniels and his family as a reminder to Hoosiers of God's desire for sincerity in His covenant.

No comments: