Saturday, May 7, 2011

no lie: holiness is hard

If He desires holiness, I desperately need His strength. I press forward, but I can discern the evil the lurks at my heels. The first half of Romans 16:20 is fresh on my mind:

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. (NIV)

My Greek text gives me the verb SUNTRIBO (overcome completely) and the adverb EN TACHOS (without delay). What did Paul mean by God overcoming Satan completely, without delay? Was it a personal word for the Romans concerning the divisive people in v.17-18, or does Paul intend this for me as well? Because if God is in the business of completely overcoming Satan under my feet, I could really use that tonight.

Thinking about feet and crushing reminds me of God's curse upon the serpent in Genesis 3:15:

And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.

Merriam-Webster defines enmity as "positive, active, and typically mutual hatred or ill will." What a description of the relationship that God's people have with their enemy! Satan's curse is that he will always be lurking -- he will strike our heel, causing grief and pain and poisoning our condition, but he will also be overcome by the very foot he strikes. God isn't just going to sentence Satan to his due justice; God's going to humiliate him through the very creation that he intends to destroy!

So why is it that I always feel like Satan has the upper hand? Why does there seem to be more striking than crushing? Is our hatred mutual enough? I certainly accept enough of his hatred.

But if I'm shortchanging the enemy's enmity with me, I'm overlooking God's love and strength to an even greater degree. It is not I that is supposed to be doing the crushing. Yes, I am the object of the enemy's humiliation, but it is God Himself that is determined to use mankind to demonstrate His sovereignty and justice over evil. So Paul follows his declaration of victory with an imperative benediction:

The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.

Trust me, I'd rather God crush Satan sooner than later. I wish I never lost a battle. I wish my eyes never wandered and my feet never sunk. I am SOOOOO tired of the fight. I want to be rid of this flesh and the struggle of pursuing a holiness in which 99% of our population has no interest. It's exhausting. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to be set apart anymore, and I find little joy in my purity. Other days, I'm encouraged just in time for the next battle...

But Father, can I please receive an extraordinary measure of your grace? The cursed is being relentless tonight.

No comments: