Sunday, May 29, 2011

pro-life in hiding

I unexpectedly found myself in a political conversation this evening -- not that I didn't do everything to revert the conversation to a position built upon faith rather than platform. I appreciate this co-worker's level of thoughtfulness in shaping his opinions, even when I disagree, because I know that he will treat new information with care rather than disregard.

I falsely assumed that he was pro-choice based on previous conversations, and though his reasoning may stand upon a different foundation, it opened the door to some fine dialogue. Because he is a libertarian, he believes that our constitutional right to life should be upheld, and he admitted that living in a country where this liberty was not clearly defined may lead him in a different direction. Thus, by submitting to the letter of his law, he has come to the conclusion that the government has a constitutional obligation to protect the innocent's right to life.

We finished a great discussion, in which I was able to share the journey that led to my own "radical" interpretation of being pro-life, and how we can each formulate a similar position based on the Word that we follow: for him, the constitution -- for me, the Word of God. He expressed that he often filters his faith through his political leanings to a fault, whereas I concluded that were I not wholly apolitical (thank you Byron), I would do the opposite.

In the end, I found it ironic that the one bearing the greater heart conviction was the same that believes the government to be only moderately responsible for legislating abortion. That said, I do not intentionally vote pro-choice, but our liberties for life can be protected in multiple ways (not just in the initial act of birth), and I believe Republicans are equally negligent of these liberties. So I rest the responsibility where God has...on His Church.

It is an easy thing for most Evangelicals to be pro-life politically; by and large the overturning of Roe v. Wade has no bearing on their pocketbooks, and would probably benefit the preferable allocation of their taxes. But if we were to address what it means to be pro-life spiritually, we must answer the more messy question of what God expects. Would he have us provide our finances to the poor, even without the frustrating requirement of social services and taxes? Would he have us reject birth control -- even if it is legal and readily accepted -- to communicate that life is a wonderful blessing, which God provided for centuries without man's concern for modern financial planning? I'm not certain that God will bring each believer to the same conviction as mine, but if we are unwilling to call it to question, then we have already decided in our hearts that God can reveal nothing more.

When Christians are ready to thoroughly digest these common acceptances in light of scripture, and are able to justify their personal definition of "pro-life" through His Word rather than society, only then are we prepared to come before kings, rulers, and earthly authorities in His name. We must expose our hearts to His truth, and ask what we can be doing personally to support His desire for life. To politically protect the liberties of the unborn child, yet personally disregard the eternal state of our community is the worst kind of hypocrisy.

I want to shout about the injustice of abortion; believe me, I do. But I want to do so because it reflects God's attitude towards a disregard for life. I must remain ministerially consistent in my pursuit of His truth, and not merely support a position or person that can carry forth my convictions upon some other foundation. I want lost hearts to be changed to align with His, rather than projecting His heart as a law upon them. Please God, allow only your words to share my passion for life: whether birthed, conceived, or yet to be known.

No comments: