Saturday, December 31, 2011

ch-ch-ch-changes are coming

Time may change me, but I can't trace time.
-- David Bowie
During my graduate studies, I took a 3-day seminar entitled Worship. Bethel assigned one of the oldest faculty members at the school, so I was expecting the obligatory traditional vs. contemporary argument and came prepared to speak my peace. The discussion began on cue, but I grimaced as the tangent veered from characteristics of worship to a more generalized defense of Christian America and the concern for its well-being.

If you grew up an educated evangelical, you are aware that "the United States was founded upon Christian principles" and that the demise of these principles is the greatest threat to our faith. Therefore, we should make every effort to hold our ground against the liberal opposition, because a law void of Christian principles is no law to be served.

[Here I was thinking that a Christ dependent on our law was no Christ worth serving...]

I suggested that becoming the minority would be the best thing to happen to the American church since its institution. For the first time in our nation's history, believers would have the opportunity to teach the difference between common and holy living without the sacramental melting pot to which we've grown accustomed. Like everything else American, the church offers infinite options to suit our lifestyles, time restraints, and standards of comfort. If we are not "called" to greater service (i.e. degree of sacrifice) then we can reap the benefits of our faith without change.

So let's not fancy the language as we stand up for Christian principles -- most are not as concerned with their fellow American choosing hell as they are with the threat of a less comfortable or entertaining life. All I'm saying is that our physical doom and gloom lacks kingdom perspective.

I may offer the impression that I enjoy change because I don't mind reestablishing myself in new locations or social circles. That impression would be inaccurate; as with any man, complacency is the easier road to navigate. To deliver a message of reformation, I must batter the flesh that resists movement. When I take my eyes off Christ, I succumb to the fears common to us all.

This much is true: little difference will be noticed as the calendar is replaced this evening. We can all look back one, five, or ten years and begrudge the changes that have affected our comfort. We can also choose to follow the Spirit in 2012 and concern ourselves less with maintaining our current position. This world will fail you, whether you cling to it or not. Politicians will continue to make choices that represent America's godlessness, and the people will continue to seek more darkness -- this is what faithless people have always done.

However, our call is not to legislate, but to redeem. When we turn the hearts of people by living as light, this will be reflected upon our communities. Where His Spirit is present, justice and truth will be upheld without our protective measures.
But seek first his kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matt. 6:33-34)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a really good post. Thanks for writing it and for stepping outside of the evangelical norm :)