Saturday, December 17, 2011

hello...my name is anthony, and i love children's entertainment

Back in 2002, I was working my first real job, and a friend of a friend offered to rent me a room in his house. Since he worked nights, I was able to spend my afternoons browsing the extensive package from his satellite dish. It wasn't long before I entered a rut; each day I would head home to prepare dinner while watching my favorite show on the planet:

Even Stevens.

Okay, perhaps it wasn't an epic piece of television, but I continued to spend a couple more hours flipping between Disney, Nickleodeon, PBS, and ABC Family, never to be discovered by those who would judge me for concerning myself with the antics of the Mowry twins.

The only difference between a 23-year-old and a 33-year-old single guy watching children's programming in the privacy of his own home is shame. It's gone. I don't care who knows. I didn't grow up on family-friendly entertainment, so I'm getting mine now.

Which brings me to the point of this post: I've previously mentioned that I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, or any of the remaining 90's animated blockbusters. I haven't watched a single Toy Story movie -- in fact, Finding Nemo is the only Pixar movie I've seen. Thus, I've decided to make up for lost time. Next time I have the impulse to watch a romantic comedy or a psych thriller, I'll head for the G or PG-rated section instead. This is the first New Year's Resolution of my life, if you want to call it that. It's the first December 17th Resolution you have ever known.

If I rent Tangled this Friday, it may just be a Festivus miracle.

2 comments:

{Miranda Mae} said...

Dooo it. Tangled is wonderful. ;)

a.w. marks said...

Boo. Both of my local supercenters had about every family movie but Tangled, one of which displaying its selections on a Tangled promo rack. Maybe New Year's Eve will be kinder...