Saturday, October 22, 2011

romantic blind spot

During my Facebook days, one of my co-workers was tagging friends on an "identity" poster, one that asked her to specify which friend is best characterized by each Disney character:
Crude and immature? Yes, but isn't that the heart of Facebook fun? Having been tagged myself, I scanned across the poster, awaiting the identity that my unbelieving friend had given me. My jaw clenched and my nostrils flared as my mouse rested on an all too familiar destination.

"The One That Saves The Day"

Everyone that knows me knows that I hate this. Fell free to call me a rogue, a loner, or a thinker. Jokingly refer to me as bipolar, moody, or intense. Openly question my discontent or my random state of melancholy. I will bear no offense. Allow me to be anything but the hero.

I was driving to work a couple days ago, listening to my autumn tunes. While never one of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs, the following lyrics rang profoundly that cool morning:
It's a still life water color
Of a now late afternoon
As the sun shines through the curtained lace
And shadows wash the room
And we sit and drink our coffee
Couched in our indifference
Like shells upon the shore
You can hear the ocean roar
In the dangling conversation
And the superficial sighs
The borders of our lives

And you read your Emily Dickinson
And I my Robert Frost
And we note our place with bookmarkers
That measure what we've lost
Like a poem poorly written
We are verses out of rhythm
Couplets out of rhyme
In syncopated time
And the dangled conversation
And the superficial sighs
Are the borders of our lives

Yes, we speak of things that matter
With words that must be said
"Can analysis be worthwhile?"
"Is the theater really dead?"
And how the room is softly faded
And I only kiss your shadow
I cannot feel your hand
You're a stranger now unto me
Lost in the dangling conversation
And the superficial sighs
In the borders of our lives

-- The Dangling Conversation
Whereas Simon wrote these words to describe the monotony of a deteriorating relationship, I found myself stricken with a bit of envy. I realized that for as long as I have despised the "hero" tag from women, I have never allowed myself to be anything else. I have a complete inability to engage in the small talk common with the modern couple -- the only time I have ever felt welcome or useful to a woman is when she has needed to be saved.

Let's look at my track history. I have cared for two women deeply: both under 5'0 tall, both too reckless with their hearts, both prior victims of abuse, both trying to get their spiritual lives in order after mistakes, both fully willing to let me be their perfect man...

Big problem: I couldn't save them. They were never mine to save. The minute I let down my guard, transitioning from a strong and noble god to a fractured man with emotional needs, they were finished. Sure, had I never attempted to usurp God's position, they may have never been interested in me at all. But what dysfunction would cause me to place that level of pressure on myself...or participate in that level of spiritual corruption?

I recognize that I don't trust women to love me for who I am. I will forever be incapable of the "dangling conversation," because worldly things have so little value to me. Likewise, being "The One That Saves The Day" leads me forever through a string of co-dependency. I struggle daily to ask this question, leading me to disregard her in prayer, but what is it that I want?

I want a real partner. Even as I glorify the idea in my mind, I don't want someone to simply fill space beside me. I desire a woman who will minister with me, worship with me, raise children with me, and never grow tired of speaking of the things of God, because these are the only things that truly interest me. And while I feel as if I must continuously dig for other worldly things to break the ice with 21st century women, I know that this is no way to begin a righteous relationship. If "we speak of things that matter," and it doesn't involve Christ or our mutual pursuit of Him, I'll feel like I'm wasting my time.

And I'll be perfectly honest, I don't know if what I want exists.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking with a mother figure in my life a little while ago about a potential romance, and she said something that caught me (and her husband) off-guard. She said, "Sometimes it's okay for it not to be about God."

I asked her to clarify, and what she said was that romance can't stand on a pressure-packed constant spiritual evaluation. True romance is often about relaxing together and just having fun. Of course the fun is still rooted in Christ "Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God..." but it doesn't have to be constantly overt and obviously about God. Sometimes, the superficial talk is more about God than the deep, spiritual conversation because you're serving the other person by letting him/her let his/her guards down.

a.w. marks said...

Katie,

I think you're right, and I covet that, but have found myself progressively more incapable of making that kind of conversation. It's not that I think I would have a better marriage by avoiding lighter conversation, but I question whether anything else wil be worth my words.

Having once been a social butterfly, most of my "attraction" was based on my ability to communicate well. I recognize that in losing that, I've also lost my greatest means to meet quality women.

I guess what I'm struggling with is this: if the Anthony of today has lost his appetite for the type of things I once spent my time discussing, what is left but the ruined state He has left me to live, and is that even desirable to a woman?

Anonymous said...

Take heart, son of God, He knows your grief.

A short time ago, I was encouraged by a man of God with these words:
"I find it funny (not haha funny, but “isn’t Satan predictable” funny) that women are attacked in believing there are no honorable single men, and men are attacked in believing that no woman would desire a biblical marriage in pursuit of holiness. God in His infinite goodness has brought us to this conversation to convince us otherwise. If I know two or three righteous men grieving the absence of holy women in podunk middle America, and you know two or three righteous women grieving the absence of honorable men on the coast, surely these rare treasures are scattered everywhere."

He has not left you. And what you see as your "ruined" self is the very essence of the Godly man that He desires you to be. It is what I desire of my future husband.

I will be completely honest- YOU are the Godly man that many women, who love the Lord, long for each a every day. You are desirable to a woman. Don't believe the lie that you are not. Do not think that the Lord will "ask you to unnaturally pursue a woman as the world does."

"This woman (the woman God has created for you) will find you amidst your steadfast love for your Father, and she will wait for you as the Church does for Christ. This love will not feel foreign or compromised, for it will directly reflect the love you’ve already known intimately in Christ."

I feel as though I'm in the same place as you are but as a woman (I have some girl friends who feel the same way as well). At times we have even had Bible Study leaders tell us to "put yourselves out there," or "go out and make yourself available." Is this how it is supposed to work? Am I supposed to go out on the prowl for available "Christian" men? Then what? They seem interested and I should just jump into a relationship... No! I don't just want a Christian man anyway. I want a man who loves the Lord, desires to serve Him with all of His life, and is willing to give up the things of this world for the things of God. I want a man who is about the business of the Lord.

I am sick and tired of going to "young adult" bible study and the only conversations being about someone's new phone, or a new movie, or a video game. Really? Is that all we can converse about?

Please, Anthony, don't give up. Don't settle. Don't believe the lie that you have to partake in the world to find the wife God has made for you.

We (the Women of God in waiting) do not want a superhero. We want the real deal. We want to live, love, and serve next to a man of God. We want a man who is willing to be weak, so we can see the strength of Christ in him. We want a man, who is man enough to show us his trembling, vulnerable, heart. We want your the beautiful mess that is inside... and we hope that you desire that from us as well.
We want a REAL man of God. The one who has the attitude of Christ, who made Himself nothing... taking on the very nature of a servant!

Hold on... love always hopes... and when that longing is fulfilled... it WILL be sweet to the soul!

a.w. marks said...

Thanks for the reminder, friend :) I would do well to hear and apply His Word to my life, even when I happen to be the vessel.