Saturday, August 13, 2011

trumping experience with truth

What I am about to share comes from a vulnerable place in my heart, and I pray that God gives me grace as a write this. I also ask for your grace as a reader, as I am writing these words to be understood, and not so that you might jump to conclusions about our friendship. I acknowledge a stronghold in my life that needs to go. It has been sifted to the surface this week, and I knew that this would be a difficult evening. I've sat down to write this three times. I've tried distracting myself by taking a late-night drive. I even did the dishes. This post refused to leave my mind.

Working in residential, the term self-sabotage is used to describe a phenomenon occurring when an unfamiliar string of success comes in conflict with a fear of failure. Commonly, teenagers nearing the end of their treatment will suddenly become fearful of messing up in a way that will let down themselves and others. As a result, many will "sabotage" their progress so that they can start at the bottom again, having something to work towards that they have already accomplished. To bypass the unknown future, they can repeatedly prolong a program in which they have experienced success, rather than fight the battle on the outside where they have previously experienced failure.

After eating dinner with some friends, Byron and I drove home this evening, and we discussed my own form of self-sabotage. (By discussed, I mean that Byron actively listened while I unloaded.) Allow me to paint the lie at its most extreme, so that I can work my way to less absolute terminology:

You will leave me.

This is the lie at its worst; every other issue in my life stems from it to varying degrees. I expect that everyone I care about -- save my biological family, who are emotionally absent -- will discover something about me that will cause them to drop me from their life. Is this rational? Of course, it isn't. Is it founded upon God's identity or truth? Absolutely not. But it's there all the same, and it directs a good number of my most destructive behaviors. The more I care about you, the greater the danger.

Like any lie, it didn't develop overnight. I didn't wake up one morning expecting to be abandoned. In fact, my childhood was quite stable until high school. My dad rode me pretty hard at times, but it never crossed my mind that he would abandon me -- if anything, there were times I considered leaving myself :-\ The first instance I remember was as a freshman, when my best friend of fifteen years began dating a girl with whom I shared a mutual distaste. It wasn't my place to ask him to choose me, so within a year, I had no place in his life. It happens, right? People move on. They make new friends. I do the same, so what's the big deal?

It has been the ten years since graduating college that a good number of loved ones have abandoned me in short order: usually with little notice or for unexplainable reasons -- always with a lack of communication. Many times I have been left waiting for a reply, only to hear through others that a wedge has been built. I have experienced this with two women I expected to marry and a handful of ministry partners. It has occurred enough to conclude that I am the problem.

But it's difficult for me to reflect upon my experiences objectively. I can assume all of the blame, and draw the conclusion that I am inherently bad, but this does not explain what attracts friends to me in the first place or why other "bad people" have companionship. Even aside from the truth of scripture that defies this lie, I don't believe that I am inherently worse than anyone else. What I do believe is that I experienced some painful separation during a formative time in my life, and I have now learned to self-sabotage whenever my relationships find the depth I desire. Thus, if I wasn't the problem initially, I have led myself to be the problem.

My chief defense mechanism is insecurity. Since I find it emotionally draining to continue assuring a loved one that all is well, I can only assume that my own insecurity leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because I expect you to leave, I require constant assurance that you will not. This constant need for assurance can be the nagging arm that pushes you from my life. Inevitably, your word is of little value to the lie anyway, since multiple people aware of my past have promised not to leave -- without prompting -- and have done so anyway. The physical evidence is strong for my pattern of behavior.

This is where I feel stuck. I know exactly what I do, and have a pretty solid understanding as to why. People genuinely care about me, and then they don't. This is the experiential data that doesn't line up with what God says, nor with how He has called me to lead. But the disconnect between God's truth and my experience leaves me in utter confusion. I need your help. I don't need the assurance that you'll never leave -- this is nothing more than empty speech to me. I need your intercession, your words of truth, and a careful handling of my heart. I need to unveil the parent root of my insecurity so that I can stand firm in His truth.

I need you to persist while I journey through my pain. God knows that I'm doing the same for all of you. I know that I'm generally expected to be the strong one, but please, can you help?

During my drive, I was sifting through the Jars marathon in my CD changer, and was moved to tears by these familiar words:
Convinced of my deception, I've always been a fool
I fear this love reaction just like you said I would
A rose could never lie about the love it brings
And I could never promise to be any of those things

If I was not so weak
If I was not so cold
If I was not so scared of being broken, growing old
I would be, I would be

Blessed are the shallow -- depth they'll never find
Seems to be some comfort, in rooms I try to hide
Exposed beyond the shadows, You take the cup from me
Your dirt removes my blindness; Your pain becomes my peace

If I was not so weak
If I was not so cold
If I was not so scared of being broken, growing old
I would be, I would be
I would be, I would be
Frail.

1 comment:

Michael said...

There is little worse to a pastoral person than to hear that the most readily available comfort you can offer to someone that you love is only going to be hollow to them. I do realize however that being the one to bring the quick fix is for me and being willing to speak things that are uncomfortable now but valuable in the long run is for love. So I aim to bring truth as you have requested.

I wonder how important it is for someone called as an apostle who is going to be used by God to do the works that He has planned for you to not fear rejection. I wonder if it is possible that God not only allowed, but in His sovereignty planned for you to taste deeply of rejection before He placed you in those works. I think it is easy to be afraid because people will always have free will and that seems like it is out of God's control, but that is a lie. God will not violate our free will to choose or not choose Him and mostly lets us have our run of the mill, but He is always faithful to His people. He will always bring about His plans for His glory and all the more when His children are submitted and obedient. If God has allowed you to taste so deeply of rejection, there is a purpose in it. It was not for nothing!

Jesus was abandoned by all His disciples in His greatest trial, betrayed, and even cut off from the Father for a time. I tell you this not because you don't know it already, but to remind you of why. So here it is Mr. Big Picture, it was all for the glory of God. If Jesus did not spare Himself these things in order to glorify God... you finish the thought in whatever way is most meaningful to you.

I talked with you some earlier this week about how I believe my fatherlessness is for a reason and that I believe God has chosen to allow me these wounds in order to build into me a heart to minister to the same. You encouraged me that God was definitely at work in digging through these wounds and to keep seeking His will, vision and grace (maybe not in those words, but that's what I took from our time). I submit to you that God has let you and maybe even chosen specifically for you to encounter the wounds of rejection before He places you over the works that He has for you SO THAT He could heal you of them and build into you a compassion for the rejected as well as an immunity against being swayed by the praise and rejection of man.

If I have missed the Spirit in any way in this I am open to your correction. I will continue to pray for God to open your eyes to the truth that you need to be free of this.