Thursday, July 21, 2011

trust me...please?

As a blogoholic and a sincere -- though flawed -- student of Jesus, I am responsible for the words that I publish. The internet's content is growing at such an exponential rate, we can easily fall victim to the dangerous mixture of opinion and truth. This often leads us to conclude that everything is of equal merit or that nothing can be trusted as an authoritative word. I wonder how most believers determine what content holds spiritual weight.

This concerns me as a writer, because I like to be taken seriously. The insecure part of me wants to assure that I am more than a capable communciator; I want to properly handle God's Word. The insecurity stems from my own skepticism: many will consume garbage as truth with a skilled enough delivery -- I cannot help but ask, "Am I that guy? Do I lead people astray?"

I must trust that my discernment is accurate and appraise every thought according to His Spirit. As much as my flesh wrestles to maintain control over the reader's understanding, I am painfully aware that greater minds than mine were never granted the certainty of a proper reception.

Who then can be trusted?

In the Gospels, the Pharisees used their appointed authority to captivate the masses with their rhetoric. Christ was sent with the Father's authority to cut to the hearts of men. The Pharisees demanded the obedience and respect due their position. Jesus spoke in cryptic narrative to confound the religious establishment.

How might He redeem my own preferred medium?

I can clearly distinguish the words of my flesh from those of the Spirit. Through my flesh, I aim to convince -- I want to be trusted. I think to myself, "If I construct a sound argument, my writing will be respected and my words understood."

But the Spirit speaks truths that need no argument. They are not presented to be accepted by those who can physically hear or see, but by those with open and burning hearts. His message is not dependent on the position or name recognition of the vessel, for its authority is from heaven and not subject to the wisdom of men.

I pray that this blog will capture this Voice. I resign my desire to be trusted -- I will deliver phrases that communicate His character and truth, regardless of the fallout. I place in His hands the right to be "liked" or applauded. I give to Jesus the firstfruits of my given talents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the humility of this post, but I also think you can know yourself by your fruits. Of course that doesn't give you insight into the truth of any particular post you write, but it can give you an idea of who you are overall.