Tuesday, July 26, 2011

the problem with standards

NOTE: This post is not about a particular woman, but was formed through a collage of conversations over the past five years.

A simple statement made in passing: easily disgarded as "nothing," but carrying the weight of romantic frustration. I am supposed to receive it as a joke...

"So you plan to find someone there that meets your standards?"

I know what she meant by it. She's suggesting that I'm virtually unattainable. There's some truth to that -- I'm not trying to be attained. I'm an old-fashioned guy in that way. But each female friend holding unreciprocated feelings for me has had something snarky to say about my standards. And then they've tried to attain me.

My job has trained me in the subtle arts of emotional manipulation. My senses jump to red alert when I am made to feel guilty for trying to live a holy life. The second move is equally vindictive: she plays the victim to my "judgment" -- for having considered her below my standards. I have never been so cold as to imply this to any woman, yet in a matter of seconds I have been branded a prude and a Pharisee.

Naturally, this is coupled with a compliment: "You look really nice today."

I shouldn't let it bother me, right? I should shrug it off on the inside the way I do on the outside. Why does this get under my skin?

It's a culmination. It's years of being treated like a second-rate minister in the church because I am single. It's listening to much younger men talk about loneliness and rejection like I've never been there, or that they deserve better than their circumstances. It's spending time with Christian women that would rather be entertained by a man than led.

The pressure builds up under the surface of my patience, and a volcano is about to blow. So when she now mocks my pursuit of righteousness -- this, my sister in Christ...

AHHHHHHHHH!!!

The thing is, for all the jockeying and attempts to apprehend me, they've always liked the idea of me better than the implications. They say they trust me, but do not follow. They like that I'm different than other guys, and then ask me to compromise. They expect me to defend my convictions about church and birth control, so that they can convince me that I'm being impractical. This is supposed to woo me?

I know that I ask a lot. It would be so much easier to own the common standards of most church-going men. Few would think less of me. I could cure my periodic loneliness and live a justifiably simple life in the eyes of men.

But if there's a chance...if one woman would resist the American dream for a spiritual adventure, if one woman would be blessed by the family that God allows us to produce and raise, if one woman would encourage my leadership and follow me to uncertain places, if one woman would maintain her own ridiculous standards to wait for me in purity...if one such woman could love me, I would ask her to share this life.

3 comments:

Lu said...

I loved this post. I can hear your frustrations but know that God has already sent an angel before you to prepare your heart and hers. There's a blog post I wrote a few days ago about waiting. Theres a girl doing the video but it's proof there's ones out there that are looking for who you are. There are those that settling and compromising are not an option! Keep trusting the Lord for He will prepare her at just the right time to be prepared at just the same time as you......Keep standing as a righteous man because the world needs you, the Kingdom needs you!

Valerie said...

Anthony
I’m sorry. I’m sorry for being snarky. And for not supporting you. And for not even understanding enough to realize it. For not thinking about how you are affected. For not seeing past your confident shell to recognize the reality of your insecurity. I’ve been reading Love&Respect lately. It scares me, because in many ways I think I respect you more than any other single guy I know. And I see how intolerably insufficient that respect level has been even to maintain a healthy friendship. Respect is such a foreign language in 2011 that I don’t even put the pieces together well enough with textbook guidance to see the inconsistencies which seem so glaring to you straightaway. I’m sorry.

Peace.

Valerie Michelle Breeden

a.w. marks said...

Valerie,

I have already forgiven you, and I don't want you to carry guilt for anything in the past. I know that your heart is good, and that you are making attempts to uncover anything that may stand in the way of your relationships.

As much as I know this will be difficult for you, I believe that the best revelation you can receive is not from textbook guidance or even the words of a trusted friend. God wants you to trust enough in the Holy Spirit to complete the transformation within you, without feeling like you have to work through a checklist of things to be resolved.

The best thing you can pray is for God to reveal whatever He thinks is most important to address. In Psalm 139:23-24, David doesn't presume to understand his faults; He asks God to scour His heart. God is the one that brings about consecration -- we can never get there on our own merit. He's less interested in you perfecting yourself, and more interested in the intimacy that is built when you place yourself at His feet to be transformed to His likeness.

I wrote this post because I'm struggling to maintain my ministry of reconciliation between men and women. History has shown that the source of my frustration will continue to occur -- if not through one woman than through another. If Satan believes he can silence my message by sowing within me a cynical attitude towards women, he's going to keep attacking in this way. I need to seek God and discern what I'm supposed to do about this, because I don't want to give up hope. Too much is on the line.

I'll be praying for you. Thanks for commenting and showing a little more of your heart.