Wednesday, July 13, 2011

are you REALLY ready for God's love?

I know that we're fine with the world's love. We love the kind of love that places us in control, where we can receive the joy and security of being thought of by another, but own the leverage to say when we've had enough. I've always thought that the worst kind of relationships were those when someone was more blessed by their beloved than their beloved was by them. It puts the one with more invested on the ropes, and nobody would choose to be subject to someone holding the upper hand -- not unless they felt they deserved it.

The 21st century does not appreciate neediness. The most unattractive people to the world are those that infringe upon our independence. We want to be loved by another, but not in a jealous way. We want to be loved by another, but not exclusively. We want to be loved by another, but have the freedom to divide our own loyalties among many options. We want our space!

When we take such a view of love, our real problem isn't with one another, though I find this rejection of God's intent for "one flesh" to be the primary catalyst for divorce. Our greater conflict is with the Creator of love Himself. Like it or not, our God is one that loves us jealously, exclusively, and expects our full loyalty in return. When we sneak around His love to establish other options (idols), He gets angry like the husband who wonders why his wife is still exchanging e-mails with her ex. When we run from Him, He comes chasing after us with the recklessness of one who cannot afford life without us.

Are you ready for His jealous love? Are you ready for God to own your heart? These are the same question.

I love the book of Hosea. I love that God comes across a little bipolar, because pure love can make our heart do crazy things. I love that He offers His beloved free will, but waits to pounce on the first indication that His love is reciprocated. Pure love will not be attractive unless you know that you desperately need your Beloved like he desires you. When this is understood, all measure of worldly restraint is out the window.

You should ask yourself, "Am I ready for this love?"
"Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her. There I will give her back her vineyards, and will make the valley of Achor a door of hope. There she will sing as in the days of her youth, as in the day she came up out of Egypt. In that day," declares the Lord, "you will call me 'my husband'; you will no longer call me 'my master.'" (Hosea 3:14-16)

When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son. But the more I called Israel, the further they went from me. They sacrificed to the Baals and they burned incense to images. It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I who healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them...How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. (Hosea 11:1-4,8)

But I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt. You shall acknowledge no God but me, no Savior except me. I cared for you in the desert, in the land of burning heat. When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me. So I will come upon them like a lion, like a leopard I will lurk by the path. Like a bear robbed of her cubs, I will attack and devour them; a wild animal will tear them apart. (Hosea 13:4-8)

Return, O Israel, to the Lord your God. Your sins have been your downfall! Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips. Assyria cannot save us; we will not mount war-horses. We will never again say 'Our gods' to what our own hands have made, for in you the fatherless find compassion." I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, for my anger has turned away from them. (Hosea 14:1-4)

No comments: