Thursday, February 16, 2012

012

Greetings from Memphis!

I'm posting from Bluff Coffee City in the downtown art district. They have a Simonelli, which nearly moved me to jump behind the counter to make my own latte. The barista's effort was sufficient however (minus using the spoon and thermometer for her art). I was a little disappointed that it didn't stop raining from the time I left St. Louis yesterday morning until early this morning, so I wasn't able to do much exploring last night. I did a little driving about, but the city lighting is extremely poor; between the reflection of the wet streets and my lacking Memphis experience, mapping was minimal.

The sky is overcast this morning, and it's supposed to clear up to a high of 60 this afternoon! I'm a few blocks from all the independent shops and the music district. I'm looking to camp out my car while I have a parking spot, and maybe catch a blues show tonight. Very St. Louis Loop...ish. Also reminds me of my days roaming Westport (K.C.) for a tasty lamb kabob. Once you've seen one mid-central river city, you've probably seen them all -- music, barbecue, and hipster Christians :)

They don't have chili cheese burritos at Memphis Taco Bells. Don't know if I could live here :) But their speed was quicker than any drive thru I have EVER visited. On a more serious note, large sections of the city could benefit from the same sort of restoration that God is leading in St. Louis. So who knows?

I'm leaving tomorrow for Evansville and then heading home Saturday afternoon. Hip Hop Hooray for good vacations!

And since I've made a point of utilizing my 2012 posts to ask questions rather than solve problems, I'll provide one that's been floating through my head:

Is it possible to find true spiritual unity on the blogwaves, or is everyone too absorbed in their own thing? I believe that God can redeem anything He chooses, but haven't seen that yet. I don't think any of my current readers were with me before the relaunch, but The Ledger was initially designed to be a forum for young Christians to share self-written articles. My audience at the time (mostly hometown friends) wasn't feeling it. Should I give it another go and shut my trap?

No comments: