Friday, November 18, 2011

reconciling mercy and justice

Six months ago, I was reading Mere Christianity during my overnight shift and was confounded by this excerpt:
[On the indulgence of sex] I do not say that you and I are individually responsible for the present situation. Our ancestors have handed over to us organisms which are warped in this respect: and we grow up surrounded by propaganda in favour of unchastity. There are people who want to keep our sex instinct inflamed in order to make money out of us. Because, of course, a man with an obsession is a man who has very little sales-resistance. God knows our situation; He will not judge us as if we had no difficulties to overcome. What matters is the sincerity and perseverance of our will to overcome them. (Lewis 93, emphasis added)
I desire to handle this topic delicately. The extent of God's mercy has been theologically argued for hundreds of years, and the Greek philosophers debated issues of justice prior to the coming of Christ. This I know for sure: no matter how much C.S. Lewis or myself (I'm not even trying to make a comparison) communicate our understanding of mercy, I'm certain any such message will be tainted with human bias. The best I can do is allow the Spirit to speak as clearly as possible while humbly accepting rebuke from Him as well. Since Romans 9 has been debated without resolution since the protestant reformation, my aim is not to convince you of my point; rather, it is to sharpen your understanding of our Heavenly Father.
What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses,

"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."

It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. (Romans 9:14-18)
Over the past year, this passage has become a wastebasket of sorts to justify the unexplainable circumstances in my life. Without seeking it, the issue of mercy has arrived in bible studies, church meetings, freedom sessions, and prayer. Sometimes, I feel like this characteristic of God is comparable to a parent answering "because" to the child's question of "why?" God's mercy (or lack thereof) ends the argument, yet often leaves us reeling for a more standardized yardstick.

In contrast, the human race loves law; we want to know the consequence for the crime. By placing lawlessness on a hierarchy, we can make decisions based on the standard for the whole. For example, since we live in a culture that accepts the indulgence of sexuality but condemns murder, we shape our laws to reflect the values of the whole. Likewise, Christians that consider their religious law to supercede the government's may drive 5 MPH over the limit to make it to church on time, or they might download a worship song they do not own to play in bible study.

However, were we to follow God's law for justification rather than out of obedience, we would be condemned. Few are condemned in the natural law for "speeding with the flow of traffic," but breaking "the least" of God's laws is cause for death. Truly, it is the irregular nature of God's mercy that allows any of us to live. Therefore, can we cry foul when He grants more mercy to some than He does for others?

I find solace in Lewis's words: not because it offers a more attainable standard, but because this is the Christ I see throughout the gospels. God will not judge me as if I had a compassionate father. He will not judge me as if I had a partner to bear my burdens. He will not judge me as if my environment was sexually pure, nor will he condemn me for confusion and doubt amidst structural chaos.

Likewise, I will be accountable for my assets. I will not be judged as if I hadn't grown up with His Word. I will not be judged as if I wasn't born into a rich nation. I will not be judged as if I had not received the privilege to experience a Spirit-filled work. God will search my heart according to the mercy He has granted me, and not the mercy or justice He has given someone else. For this, I am fully accountable.

And just when I think I understand this to a science, God will remind me that He knows better than I, offering the simple justification, "Because."
Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm:

"Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself? Do you have an arm like God's and can your voice thunder like his? Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor, and clothe yourself in honor and majesty. Unleash the fury of your wrath, look at every proud man and bring him low, look at every proud man and humble him, crush the wicked where they stand. Bury them all in the dust together; shroud their faces in the grave. Then I myself will admit to you that your own right hand can save you." (Job 40:6-14)

*************************

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first. (Matt. 19:21-30)

*************************

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything -- all she had to live on." (Mark 12:41-44)

*************************

Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment! (James 2:12-13)

No comments: