Wednesday, November 16, 2011

i'll call you "miss"...no offense

I stepped into Main Street after my team meeting for coffee and lunch. My former co-worker Beth was standing behind the counter and provided a smile when she spotted me.

"Good morning, miss," I greeted.

She replied, "Did you forget my name already?"

I've been referring to unmarried ladies as "miss" since I reached maturity myself. I like the sound of it. My female campers were "miss." My female math students were "miss." My younger co-workers were "miss." I know that we live in a culture and among a generation averse to terms of endearment or respect, but I feel that when I call someone "miss," it should be understood that I consider her a lady.

[But then, I have a resident that only calls me "sir" when she is growing impatient and demanding. When did the connotation of these terms become derogatory? I missed something...]

1 comment:

dr3am3r said...

fyi: there are those of us girls that like it. i have felt respected when people at work have called me "miss". Of course, they didn't know my name.