Tuesday, September 6, 2011

speaking of being 32...

My mood is more carefree than contemplative today, so I have nothing heavy to present. Satan often tries to frustrate me with all of the things I should have done by now, but rather than dwell on the things that relate to my non-married, non-paternal state, I figured I'd share some less pertinent things that would place me in a demographic minority:

  • I have never broken a bone.
  • I have never played Angry Birds.
  • I have never changed the oil in my own car.
  • I have never had a dog.
  • I have never worked for a national retail or food chain.
  • I have never ate fresh mango. (Although, I had my first plum and nectarine at age 30, and have loved every fruit I've ever tried, save pineapple and raw apples.)
  • I have never bought my own Christmas tree -- I'm saving this "never" for the appropriate time.
  • I have never gone skiing.
  • I have never viewed in their entirety: Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, or any Pixar movie. Blame this one on the parents.
  • I have never played a first-person shooter by myself.
  • I have never had a girlfriend on the 4th of July. (Yes, an arbitrary date, but I've always thought summer fireworks were romantic.)
  • I have never driven a stick shift -- trust me, there's a race car driver that does not need to be unleashed.
  • I have never smoked anything, though I had this crazy dream one time...
  • I have never painted a wall.
  • I have never taken an operational driver's test, but have passed a written one three times. God bless Indiana.
  • I have never chosen to spend my time on a project rather than a person -- time is easily my strongest love language.
  • I have never grilled a steak.
  • I have never held a baby for longer than 10 seconds.

7 comments:

Courtney Slaton said...

That's quite a bucket list. At the very top of mine is:

1.Swim with Elephants.

That's a real thing that happens...

:-)

a.w. marks said...

Not sure if I'd call this a bucket list, for I never intend to play Angry Birds, and I don't foresee a situation in which I may "smoke something." But who knows? When in Rome -- with a photographic lighter...

If I were really to write a bucket list, I would start with my European train wandering. And call me a skeptic, but I have to see a snorkeling elephant before I believe it :)

Courtney Slaton said...

I think you'll change your mind about Angry Birds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh1am2-wElc&sns=em

Copy and paste that link for proof of snorkeling elephants. :-)

Anonymous said...

You need to eat fresh mango. Stat.

a.w. marks said...

Courtney: That may be one of the coolest things I've ever seen, particularly since you can actually see the elephant use his trunk as a snorkeling device. But I know that you're all imagery savvy -- what with the "youtube" and "iPhone" you kids toss about -- who knows what lengths you might go to persuade me of elephant snorkeling? I'll just have to get in the water myself :)

Miranda: I have every intention of it...how does one shop for the perfect mango? Sounds like tonight's 10pm breakfast!

Anonymous said...

When you push on the skin of the mango, there should be a slight give. If it's too firm, it's not ripe and you have to wait. If it's too soft, the inside will be too mushy.

Anonymous said...

Oh man... so many things I want to comment on.

Fresh Mango is absolutely a must. Stat. Listen to the intendedparadox.

BEAUTY and the BEAST is the BEST Disney movie ever. Watch it. Preferrably with girls because we have a different sort of connection to the movie than boys have, and you need to witness that connection.

I haven't broken a bone either :(

1st person shooters aren't meant to be played alone... they're much too scary.