Wednesday, September 14, 2011

dressed in white

Ever since I explored the characteristics of God's blessed priesthood in Ezekiel 44, I have been enamored with the idea of "wearing" these priestly garments. He tells the priesthood not to wear anything that makes them sweat, nor to wear these garments outside the inner courts where their Inheritance resides (v. 17-19). I began looking at other places in His word where clothing was considered significant.

Dress was a huge deal in the establishment of the law; there were regulations against the priests wearing dirty, blood-stained, or torn clothing -- which was symbolic of grief. Through good and hard times alike, the priesthood was to represent the purity and holiness of God to the people. They were to acknowledge this sanctity in a visible way, regardless of how far the people's hearts were from Him.

I also considered Peter's reinstatement in John 21:18, who is told by Christ:
I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.
Jesus was informing Peter of the literal manner through which he would pick up the cross of Christ, but in a metaphorical sense, Peter is also being told that his life no longer belongs to himself. When we offer Jesus his due Lordship, we are asking to be dressed according to his own righteousness. We see this in multiple passages.
  • He can clothe us with joy in the midst of sorrow. (Psalm 30:11)
  • The righteous woman is clothed in strength and dignity. (Prov. 31:25)
  • His people are asked to clothe themselves with strength. (Isa. 52:1)
  • The brokenhearted are clothed in garments of salvation and robes of righteousness. (Isa. 61:1)
  • Our shame and filth are removed and replaced with fine garments (Zech. 3:3-5)
  • We clothe ourselves with Christ to dismiss the desires of the flesh. (Rom. 13:14)
  • Death is swallowed when we clothe ourselves with imperishable things. (1 Cor. 15:53-54)
  • Citizens of heaven long to be clothed in their eternal dwelling. (2 Cor. 5:2-4)
  • Representing His holy people, we should clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. (Col. 3:12)
  • We are to clothe ourselves in humility towards one another to receive the Lord's favor. (1 Pet. 5:5)
  • Rather than be influenced by those around us, we are to hate the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. (Jude 1:23)

*************************

Don't get me wrong, God has given us plenty of wonderful and beautiful things on this earth by which to be dazzled. The mountains, beaches, skies, and storms are SOOOOOOO good. But there is nothing more beautiful and awe-inspiring on this earth than a bride dressed in white.

Do you see why God refers to His Church as the Bride? In our blameless, pure state, there is nothing more precious or lovely than the unity and blessing that are found in Him together. The greatest deterrent to becoming a blameless bride is pride. It is pride that says, "I do not need my beloved," or "I am better off with other lovers." She sees the riches of the world as a more noble pursuit than the comfort and protection of a husband that would give his life for her.

This pride is represented within the church of Laodicea in Revelation 3. I think the church is really stupid for promoting an emotional response to verses 15-16 -- particularly among young people -- as a means to get people to "buck up" and live their faith more zealously. I know that I once got "re-saved" as a result of this passage. But Christ does not tell the church to better itself to become more scorching. No, he asks the church to cast aside the faulty perception that it has everything it needs. He tells us to take an honest look at our real state.
"You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see." (v. 17-18)
My first thought is, how are we to "buy His gold" when we aren't as rich as we think we are? But God doesn't want us to even hold onto our filthy idea of righteousness -- He wants us to cash all that junk in for the clothes He would have us wear, so that we can find our purity and righteousness in Him! He can clothe His Body in that wondrous white dress, covering our nakedness and healing our blindness. God intends His Church to be beautiful and set apart once again, but we must come to the end of our own sacred cows of wealth and ask Him to lead and love His beloved wife.
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. (v. 19-20)
I want to invite Him in to dress me in His righteousness. I want to see His Bride sitting at the royal table and next to Him on His throne. This has always been her rightful place: to be the object of His greatest affection.
"Therefore I am not going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her. There I will give her back her vineyards, and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. There she will sing as in the days of her youth, as in the day she came up out of Egypt

"In that day," declares the Lord, "you will call me 'my husband'; you will no longer call me 'my master.'" (Hosea 2:14-16)

No comments: