Friday, September 2, 2011

on self-esteem

"Yeah and especially in a day when so much emphasis and so much pressure is put on us to esteem ourselves I kind of go, wow, I don't know how anyone can wake up with morning breath and pillow head and feel any self esteem. That is not the sort of thing I want to put my faith in. And in the church it is unbelievable to me that this whole foolishness about esteeming yourself has leaked into the church. I kind of go, 'Christ didn't ask us to esteem ourselves.' I think if Christ were asked, I think He would probably say, 'Look buddy, you would be lucky if you could forget yourself. If you could lose yourself, you would be luckier than if you found yourself.' It would be wonderful if you knew the names of the trees between your house and where you work, between your house and your church. If you knew that that was a tulip tree and you knew that that was a red bud. It would be great if you knew the names of the constellations. It would be great if you knew something about your neighbor. It would be a lucky thing for you if you forgot yourself, if you lost yourself. I remember when my brother and his fiance were eating a meal with us and it was absolutely sickening because we were trying to eat here and they were staring at each other in the eyes and I'm going, 'Golly, can you not wait until football.' And then I realized, wow, what a terrific thing when you are so in love that you forget how obnoxious love looks to everybody else. How I wish we were all French. Although I really appreciate modesty and I detest public displays but nevertheless, what a wonderful thing when you are so caught up in a moment when you are so lost in an experience that you forget to straighten your tie or to comb your hair. Why esteem yourself? Forget yourself. You'll have a lot more fun."

--Rich Mullins

1 comment:

For Those About To Shop said...

This is why that fellow Rob Bell is so scary. He is 're-envisioning' the Bible and trying to say that Faith means faith in oneself! I saw him on Youtube saying that when Jesus said 'Ye of little faith' he was not saying to have faith in Him but to have faith in yourself! That's ridiculous. I don't know the Bible that well but I know the idea is to have faith in Christ, not myself.