Thursday, August 9, 2012

very inspiring blogger award

While not the first time I've received a blogging award nomination, I feel compelled to share something for the sake of promoting the woman that nominated me. Elaine posts regularly on her At Home With God blog, sharing the daily surprises, blessings, and challenges of an intimate relationship with her Creator. Everyone should check it out; her maturation process is weaved through the archives and serves as an encouragement to any believer interested in lifting the veil. I'm excited to know that pursuing His Presence is not in vain; Elaine's relationship with God testifies to the reward of my longing.

I'm not currently reading fifteen blogs, so the acceptance process would be in vain. Typically, I follow five blogs at a time, and those I find most inspiring usually run their course and cease to exist... until God brings me a fresh five. I try to promote my favorite blogs on the sidebar, though it's in need of deep cleaning as some have left me missing their words. :)

Merriam-Webster defines "inspiring" as having an animating or exalting effect. One of its synonyms happens to be breathtaking, but as this could describe an ugly baby as well as my blog, I'll stray from its neutral connotation and pray the Ledger's inspiration has been a positive one. Thank you. :)

[Since I have yet to kick the obnoxious habit of adverb overuse, this award is most fitting. Very inspiring, indeed!]

Seven important and personal facts about myself:
  1. I appear to have shed the nickname bug for the first time in my life. Since preschool I have been Ant, Anth, Antny, Antonio, Antony, Antoine, Twan, Twanithan, Twanifer... this list excludes the glut of embarrassing pet names offered by my mom. Interesting to note: I have never introduced myself as any of these. I steadfastly hold the conviction that nicknames should be received organically rather than solicited. Aside from name shortages initiated by parents (Dan for Daniel, Beth for Elizabeth, Zach for Zachary, etc.), an individual should never promote the advance of his or her own nickname-fame. If it's meant to take off, it will happen. Creating a nickname for yourself is lame.

    More about nicknames:
    • The only common thread in my adolescent dating relationships was the use of my real name. I never demanded it; my girlfriends intuitively knew I would find it special. I did.
    • In the vanity of youth, I broke my cardinal rule and tried to create my own nickname. It failed miserably. I would tell you what it was, but then I would have to change each of my internet passwords.
    • I have never been a Tony. I will never be a Tony. I know you're tempted at this very moment -- don't do it... EVER! I WILL DESTROY YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY!!! =)

  2. This blog was originally inspired by 1 Chronicles 29, in which David passes the torch to his son and pleads with the assembly to consecrate themselves before the Lord. David offers a large inheritance to the building of God's temple, a task larger than Solomon can handle in his youth and inexperience. However, there's an air of spiritual preparation in David's intercession:
    O Lord, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you. And give my son Solomon the wholehearted devotion to keep your commands, requirements and decrees and to do everything to build the palatial structure for which I have provided. (1 Chr. 29:18-19)
    I love transition points in scripture. God regularly provides transition in leadership where a new work is to begin. Moses couldn't enter the promised land. David couldn't build the temple. Isaiah was given the Messianic prophecy once his spiritually proud king had died. I believe that we're living in another such time and that God is allowing me to prepare a work that will be completed by a generation removed from the idolatry of the contemporary church. My ministry is to till the soil for a move of the Spirit that I will likely never see to the end. I'm perfectly content with this arrangement. :)

  3. My best friend through the first 15 years of my life distanced himself because his high school girlfriend didn't like me. I haven't truly had a "bestie" since, and I've gone out of my way on several occasions to avoid gaining one. For this reason, I think it's easier to identify with God being almighty and sovereign, but less so as an intimate friend. At the very least, I respond to God with the same degree of standoffish independence that I do with my earthly friends. We're working on this.

  4. After playing football in junior high, the head coach of the high school team asked if I'd volunteer as a team manager the following year. This established the need to run from Poing A to Point B, as the coach had me "gophering" this and that for four years... items that were always needed "yesterday." Not only did this role get me in amazing shape (I used to do acrobatics running for the kicking tee during games), it developed a habit of running when it was sufficient to walk. During my camp directing days, our administrator once commented that it never felt like Teen Camp had officially begun until she saw me running across campus to grab a forgotten item during registration.

  5. I have an unhealthy obsession with the color blue, but I think it's getting better.

  6. As a youth pastor / camp director, I loved van and bus rides. I still love to travel, even if I'm by myself. I led four Spring Break trips to Florida, and only the first of these was laden with bad weather. However, I hold this trip in higher regard because the van ride was more memorable. I can't remember much of anything about the other trips.

    I desire to take a coast-to-coast trip some summer, visiting large cities and ridiculous rural claims-to-fame as I go. The only rule: never use an interstate to pass through area where a U.S. Highway still exists. This should send me through quaint towns, mountainous passes, and urban hoods -- I want to see everything my citizenship will allow. And if I never have the funds to complete this trip, I'll have to get a job as Googleman.

    BTW: this is only my consolation trip, should I never have the opportunity to cross Western Europe with nothing but a backpack of belongings!

  7. The only passage of scripture that has been personally prophesied over my life is Psalm 18. All the more reason to grow in faith.

8 comments:

Laurel Anne said...

The road trip across the U. S. sounds like a lot of fun! My younger sister and I decided a few years ago to take a Route 66 Road trip as soon as she graduates. She'll graduate next spring, but our budget for a trip is rather non-existent so we're taking just the middle section for now--Tulsa to Albuquerque.

a.w. marks said...

I've never traveled that trail -- never been to the southwest at all. Part of me is looking forward to the exploration, but I've got a nasty serpentine phobia, and the first sight of a rattlesnake may be enough to head me back the other direction!

I've considered taking US 20, as it would send me from Oregon to Boston, through Yellowstone and the Rocky Mountains and into the old industrial cities of the Midwest. However, I'm disappointed that I'll never experience a Route 66 trip in it's original glory -- there's something about the charm of a small town diner that would've made each stop memorable. I regret that we've sacrificed these local economies for the sake of speed.

Laurel Anne said...

I've been to the southwest several times and in my whole life I've never seen a living rattlesnake out in the wilderness, so you needn't be too scared. :) Once though, when my dad, sister and I were hiking to Lower Calf Creek Falls in Utah we stepped over a fat 5' long snake who was curled up in the shade of the trail. We didn't know it was there until Dad was stepping over it (and he was after my sister and I) he exclaimed so loudly the cliff walls surrounding us echoed back his surprise. We later researched what kind of snake it was, and I think we found out it wasn't poisonous.

I don't know much about US 20, but a trip from Oregon to Boston sounds beautiful! What would be ideal is to take a Hwy 20 trip as well as a Hwy 66 trip--that way one could see a bit of everything besides the southeast.

I wish I was set back in time to take the Route 66 trip too, but there are still some great diners around now. Finding them will be a main point for my sister and me. Have you ever seen Guy Fieri's Food Network show called Dinners, Drive-Ins & Dives? Here's a list of the restaurants he's featured: http://www.flavortownusa.com/states.aspx#.UCUtOvXKe4Y.

Laurel Anne said...

Maybe then a US 19 trip to see some more eastern states . . . wow, to go on all three trips would be a lot of driving!

a.w. marks said...

I don't have Food Network, but this is a fantastic site. I'm a little disappointed that most of the Indiana locations are in the Indy area, but I'm also reminded how long it's been since I ate at the South Side Soda Shop... Yum! I have some good memories of taking my high school Sunday School class there that I taught in college. Much simpler times... :)

I was also thinking that a trip could be "looped" to hit the east coast and southern states. With all that driving, it's all about not stressing yourself out with what you have to accomplish on a particular day. That's why it would require a fairly kindred spirit to accompany me... that, and someone apt to amaze me with their radio-dial proficiency!

Laurel Anne said...

Looping the trip sounds like a great idea and I agree, you would need a kindred spirit along to enjoy it with . . . and play the radio (or bring burned CDs of road trip music). I wonder how long of a trip it would turn out to be.

Someday I hope to go on a long road trip like we're talking about with my own family and maybe one or both of my sisters families as well. We all want to home school our children, so it would be a several-week-long field trip for them.

Jessica Sanford said...

Twanifer...? :o)

Anonymous said...

regarding the road trip ... have you thought of doing good old US 6? It starts at the tip of Cape Cod but doesn't quite make it to the coast in California. I've been plotting to try it sometime.
-andrea r.